[Zope] FYI: Portal Toolkit Slides and Demo available

Chris Blackall s3190067@student.anu.edu.au
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 18:58:02 +1000

>Just to reiterate, the Portal Toolkit is not yet available, it should be
>out in beta this month.
Amos,
This is very timely development for me and I can't wait to access it.
Congratulations to the Zope team.
About, http://www.zope.org/Products/PortalToolkit/Tour/Images/demo5.gif
The advanced search in the demo allows for a focused search of Zope
catalogue items, great, but could the metadata schema or search categories
be extended to include Dublin Core(DC) Metadata standard?
see http://purl.oclc.org/dc/
Although there are 13 elements in the DC standard, technically none are
required, however using DC tags enables more accurate distributed searches
and the possibility of an external (to the Zope DB) metadata repository
that would have a namespace that conformed to a *standard* and was
indexable by external webbots, agents etc. or addressable by a distributed
search protocol such as Z39.50. see http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/
I believe the incorporation of search facilities BETWEEN Zope portals (in
future versions) would add a great deal of value to the proposed portal
system. Just don't ask me to build one!!
Regards
Chris Blackall
Graduate House
Australian National University