[Zope] Collector source?

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:49:38 -0400

Bob wrote:
> What is the cost of Collector as a packaged solution?
> The http://www.digicool.com site is nice but I cannot find any
> "packaged solutions" listed.
>
> Do you have other "packaged solutions" that may benefit the ZOPE
> community even if they are not open source and cost $$$.

Yep, gotta work on it :^)  Really, the resources around here are all way
overcommitted on Zope2, portal toolkit, and customer projects.  Sigh.

> Where does Z Tables fit into the big picture?

Our plan is to have two things:

1) Z Tables Core.  Free, open source core that stores gobs of
like-structured data with powerful indexing features.  Main use is with
the Catalog, a part of the free portal toolkit that gives powerful
searching and browsing.

2) Z Tables.  A commercial product that allows web uploads of various
formats, a management screen for working with data, and a number of
powerful extra features.

> * Is it replaced or enhanced with ZODB3 ?

Hmm, about the only enhancement will be, later on, the ability to
incrementally commit uploaded data, thus reducing memory footprint.

> * Is it or will it be open source?

Z Tables will be commercial.  Terms are, roughly, for money you get the
source with a few restrictions.

>   - If not, What does it cost?

It is currently priced at $1500.

> I have tested ZTables and posted a bug in the collector
> (Item #143) on May 4th but it is still "...under review".
> Perhaps because of ZODB3 ???

I'll check into it.  Thanks for the tip.

--Paul

Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
paul@digicool.com  540.371.6909
The Open Source Zope application server