[Zope] Connecting Zope to Sybase: Linux or Irix ?

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 15:15:31 -0500

At 11:40 AM 3/1/99 -0800, Paul Jackson wrote:
>I'm just beginning with Zope, and just beginning with a
>project to develop some new software product management
>(bug tracking and such) tools for use within Silicon
>Graphics (SGI).
>
>Zope appears to be an excellent fit for many of our
>needs.
>
>I will need to connect with an existing large Sybase
>database (the existing bug data).
>
>I can freely choose to use either Linux or Irix for
>the server side operating system.
>
>>From which server O.S. would it be easiest to get Zope
>connected to Sybase?  Something I read on www.zope.org
>led me to suspect that I should use Irix, so that I
>can use our Sybase licensed library, and that Linux
>wouldn't work, because of a lack of the needed library.
>
>Is that so?  Any other obvious factors that I should
>consider in this choice?

FWIW, my shop is running Sybase OpenClient 11.1.1 on IRIX 6.2, 6.4, and 6.5
on a Challenge/S, O2000, and Challenge/L, respectively.  I successfully
installed ZSybaseDA into Zope on the Challenge/S; haven't tried on any others.

Also FWIW, I have experienced nothing but problems getting PCGI to work on
any of the IRIX platforms; your mileage may vary.

(Coincidentally, the company I work for owns a couple hundred SGI boxes and
we keep our inventory of them in a ZPublisher app...  it's on mySQL,
though, not Sybase.  OTOH, our request tracking system is a
ZPublisher-on-Sybase app.)