[Zope] [ZDP] Assorted FAQs

Martijn Faassen M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 11:02:39 +0100

"Christopher G. Petrilli" wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 01:00:03PM -0500, Philip Aylesworth wrote:
> > Maybe by splitting up the FAQs we could split up the work, too! Have a
> > different person/group resposible for each FAQ.
>
> Well, I think it'd be nice if there was someone "responsible" for each
> major section, this would keep everyone from getting swamped.

Yes, this would be a good idea. My first priority however is to get as
much of a FAQ as possible out there. Organization we'll do at the same
time. Otherwise we run the risk getting bogged down in organizing who
does what.

That said, volunteers who want to manage specific sections of the FAQ
are very welcome to step forward. Procedure is as follows: you get to
name your topic; the first person who names a particular topic and
produces a FAQ for it (assembling it from the FAQ we have now, and
hopefully adding more of his or her own to it) will be manager for that
section, unless that person doesn't want to, of course. :)

I suggest to mail this list instead of me personally, so that other
people can respond friday and during the weekend, when I won't be around
to check the mail. We're working on getting a zdp@zope.org mailing list
too, but I can't say yet when that'll be ready.

[snip] ]

> > Also, I think that HOWTOs of the Linux type would be a great idea. They
> > have a person/group responsible for each HOWTO to keep it up to date and
> > add/edit things as needed.

Aren't there some HOWTOs out there already on the Zope site? (there are
FAQs too but that doesn't stop us of course). HOWTOs and FAQs of course
have some overlap; we'll just see how it evolves.

> You can find a "howto" LaTeX stylesheet in the Python CVS checkout, and
> I'm sure Guido/Fred wouldn't mind us using this.  It works real well,
> and can target HTML, ASCII (I think), Postscript, PDF, etc... this lets
> you do the "bigger" stuff in a nice pretty way.

Earlier I suggested using SGML Docbook for this purpose; I've appointed
John Eikenberry (without any feedback from him :) as our official SGML
docbook expert. One advantage of Docbook SGML is that it's the new Linux
standard for writing documentation.

> What would also be nice is a list of "bigger" issues that people would
> liek to see explained more... something that's more than a single
> question.

I think essentially a HOWTO is a particular frequently asked question
with a very long answer. :)

Regards,

Martijn