[Zope] Could we migrate Zope email to a news group?

Mike Pelletier mike@compar.com
Wed, 5 May 1999 12:16:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Paul Jackson wrote:

> If "urgent", what I see on these lists is no more time critical
> than what happens on other popular news groups -- take the python
> news group as an example, and anyway, my experience with USENET
> is that it isn't that much slower than email.

    ...if it ever arrives at all.  That's my biggest problem with using
USENET.  Plus, some people don't have access to a NNTP server, and if they do,
it may not carry our group.  It may only poll a few times a day.  It may have
a 24 hour expire.  Etc, etc.  USENET is notoriously unreliable.

    With a 'private' news server, the articles never have to expire (if you're
only hosting a handfull of text-only newsgroups, you can afford to do that) so
they are always available.  They never get lost in propagation.  And you still
get all the benifits of the news format.  If you're really eager to get a
comp.sys.zope, great, but I'd still like to have our own server for it.

    By private, I don't mean restricted, of course.  It's still publicly
available, but it isn't connected to USENET.

Mike.

--
       ---              | Mike Pelletier             Work: 519-746-1607
        /opeware!       | Software Developer         Home: 519-725-7710