[Zope] Could we migrate Zope email to a news group?

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Thu, 06 May 1999 09:26:22 +0200

At 18:32 05/05/99 , Paul Jackson wrote:
>ah - then how about we have a dedicated server, just for
>the zope group, but keep it in the usenet hierarchy, so
>that some other portion of the universe (apparently not
>including yourself ') that has reliable usenet feeds will
>gain greater and more convenient access to that same group.
>
>This could include the "dual news/list solution" that I see
>Alexander Staubo suggesting in another response.  I'm fine
>with such, so long as someone else does the work.  Such dual
>solutions are certainly _heavily_ used inside SGI, where I work.

I think I could live with a NNTP solution, provided it is a _three_-way
solution: mail/news/web. I have build such systems, based upon Perl,
majordomo, Netscape News Server and MHonArc
(http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhonarc.html). Sorry about the Perl, I
am a multi-linguist.

Advantages:
Occasional users can turn to their news reader and scan the headlines, and
selectively download messages.

Zope gurus can opt to see all messages by subscribing to the list. And I
can search the list using my email client in much better ways than DejaNews
ever lets me.. (Eudora 4.2 beta can do boolean and regexp finds!). It
allows for very personalized handling of the information.

The web interface can provide an archive, with reliability (more so than
email!), searchability (especially if the news-group is not part of
USENET), and the right look and feel. Also, having a URL to point to is a
great boon when discussing recurring topics.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer