[Zope] Could we migrate Zope email to a news group?

The Dragon De Monsyne dragondm@integral.org
Thu, 6 May 1999 04:35:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Martijn Pieters wrote:

> I think I could live with a NNTP solution, provided it is a _three_-way
> solution: mail/news/web. I have build such systems, based upon Perl,
> majordomo, Netscape News Server and MHonArc
> (http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/mhonarc.html). Sorry about the Perl, I
> am a multi-linguist.

	Actually, there already is such a thing, and Digicool is alredy
using it! The MailMan list software has web archiving and a newsgroup
gateway build in!

> Advantages:
> Occasional users can turn to their news reader and scan the headlines, and
> selectively download messages.
>
> Zope gurus can opt to see all messages by subscribing to the list. And I
> can search the list using my email client in much better ways than DejaNews
> ever lets me.. (Eudora 4.2 beta can do boolean and regexp finds!). It
> allows for very personalized handling of the information.
>
> The web interface can provide an archive, with reliability (more so than
> email!), searchability (especially if the news-group is not part of
> USENET), and the right look and feel. Also, having a URL to point to is a
> great boon when discussing recurring topics.

	"Agreed. " * 3

	-The Dragon De Monsyne