[Zope] Cheap LINUX Zope host?

tommy_b@my-deja.com
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:00:51 -0800

Oops, I'm going to use LINUX as the host OS.

I've done a bit of research on using SCSI.  IWill & Tekram put out SCSI3 cards under $70 (according to http://www.pricewatch.com).  Anyone use these guys?  However, I'm not sure a cheap/close-out SCSI drive will match the performance-to-value ratio to a new ATA-66.  http://www.storagereview.com has lots of drive tests that leads me to this thought.  If I was spending more than $1000 for a new system, I'd go SCSI for sure.  I need to keep below $700, but SCSI is one of my first planned upgrades.  Is SCSI worth me getting a old used system with 64MB of RAM & slapping a SCSI card into it, or should I go for a new (dual) Celeron with 128MB?

Has anyone actually done performce tests with Zope & SQL to compare what component has the most impact for a _cheap_ system: CPU, memory, or HD throughput (ATA vs SCSI)?

Thanks for Stephan, Jim, & Nitin for the replies!
--

--------- End Forwarded Message ---------