[Zope] Cheap LINUX Zope host?

Sam Gendler sgendler@teknolojix.com
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:01:27 -0800

The biggest issue with SCSI is not so much performance any longer, but reliability.  IDE drives have been traditionally targeted at the consumer market, while SCSI drives are aimed at the professional/server market.  If you look at the Mean Time Between Failures numbers for the two types, SCSI tends to have been designed for higher reliability.  That said, however, I have only ever had 2 IDE drives go south on me, with 0 scsi over the course of about 10 years.  Those numbers are close enough for me, usually.  Drive throughput tends to not be a huge issue with webservers, since servers spend most of their time seeking from one small object
to another, not streaming enormous files to a network socket.  With seek times anywhere between 8-14ms, and average object size somewhere around 8-15KB, if every object requires only one seek and one read from the disk, you can still only get about 70 transactions/second (assuming the read is instantaneous, which it isn't), which is only about 1 MB/second throughput.  Therefore, it is much better to use multiple, slower drives, and distribute objects across multiple machines.  Unfortunately, the data in zope is all stored in a single file, so this cannot be done.  RAID is not much of a win, either, since raid increases throughput, but does
nothing to improve seek time (it might even make it worse).  You will be MUCH better off with more memory for buffering objects, to prevent disk access at all, rather than a fast drive.

On a zope-dev note, I have a variety of solutions that would allow zope to distribute objects across multiple physical hard drives, that should not be too difficult to implement, if anyone is interested.  I don't have time to play with such concepts myself until next year.

--sam