[Zope] Zope Startup Questions II (Son of Zope)

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:56:07 -0700

Ethan Fremen wrote:

> Pavlos Christoforou wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Alexander Limi wrote:
> > > Does anybody know if this is a limitation of the kernel or the FS? And is
> > > it going to be fixed in the foreseeable future?
> >
> > It is a limitation of the FS, and it will be fixed but I do not know when.
>
> The next edition of Red Hat Linux will include a journaling filesystem-
> i believe this is the one from SGI- which allows files in the
> petabytes...

This is incorrect. XFS has yet to see the light of day for Linux. Much
more probable (since it is _useable_ ) would be ext3 and/or ReiserFS,
which both have alpha-level journalling support. Currently ext3 journals
_all_ of the data, as opposed to meta-data only.

It is also possible to apply a patch for larger file sizes on ext2. Of
course, running Linux on an Alpha will also avoid any filesize
limitations.

--
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the
Wright brothers.  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." -- Carl