[Zope] [Q] My own editor?

Stephen Pitts smpitts@midsouth.rr.com
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 22:48:35 -0600

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 09:54:00PM -0600, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Viva de el Zopistas,
>
> new to Zope, I have a few questions which I couldn't find the answer
> for.
>
> How can I export a DTML method file, so that I can add it again?
> Background: I want to use my own editor, as the webbrowser's
> text window usually is a real bad editor.
From the containing folder, you can use Import/Export, but that
generates a hard-to-read XML file. Another approach might be to connect
to your Zope server with an FTP program on port 8021 and download/upload
the file. Yet a third approach is constantly copying and pasting to/from
your text editor and the web browser.

> (Of course I know, if the world would be more modular, I could just
> call my editor from the webbrowser. Most people are stuck with
> Mosaic-derived webbrowser (netscape/IE/Mozilla).)
AFAIK, Mozilla has no Mosaic (or Netscape 4.x..thank God!) code in it
whatsoever. Also, Ender, the text widget, is supposed to be extremely
good. Several groups, including wxPython, KDE, and GNOME are working on modular
web browsers, maybe someday you'll be able to insert your text editor
as a component on a web page?

> Another question: Would it not be advantagous only recreate a page, when
> the source objects change and trigger that creation? Most pages could
> just be cached this way. Or does Zope that already?
It doesn't do it at the moment.
As your DTML gets more complex, it would become more and more
difficult for Zope to determine when/if it needs to be
reexecuted. Since DTML runs quite fast anyway, you'd quickly reach a point where
determining whether or not a DTML page needs to be updated takes more
time than actually updating the page. If you have an object that is
really expensive to refresh (like a database query or something), then
perhaps you could write a ZClass to encapsulate it and program your own
logic to figure out if it needs to be updated.

> Please cc: me answers, because I am not on the Zope list (just to huge).
Here here! I've been subscribed since 11/10/1999 and I've got almost
1000 messages in my "zope" folder in mutt.

--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com