[Zope] [Q] My own editor?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard@uwm.edu
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:42:11 -0600

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 10:48:35PM -0600, Stephen Pitts wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 09:54:00PM -0600, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > How can I export a DTML method file, so that I can add it again?
> > Background: I want to use my own editor, as the webbrowser's
> > text window usually is a real bad editor.

> From the containing folder, you can use Import/Export, but that
> generates a hard-to-read XML file. Another approach might be to connect
> to your Zope server with an FTP program on port 8021 and download/upload
> the file. Yet a third approach is constantly copying and pasting to/from
> your text editor and the web browser.

All unsatisfactory.
Using Zope looses you a lot of advantages you already have in your
working environment. Like the unix tools box (if you are using Unix,
that is), including syntax highlighting editors, version control,
special script tools like find. In that respect it is not, what I was=20
hoping it is.

The cure to that would require a lot of unpleasant work, I am afraid.
The Object, Aquisitions and Security model of Zope is great so far, but
loosing the the other already existing nice components, unless they
are rebuild for Zope is a huge tradeoff.

> > (Of course I know, if the world would be more modular, I could just
> > call my editor from the webbrowser. Most people are stuck with
> > Mosaic-derived webbrowser (netscape/IE/Mozilla).)
> AFAIK, Mozilla has no Mosaic (or Netscape 4.x..thank God!) code in it
> whatsoever.=20

I should have been more specific. The user interface and user logic=20
is modeled similiar.

> Also, Ender, the text widget, is supposed to be extremely
> good.=20
> Several groups, including wxPython, KDE, and GNOME are working on modular
> web browsers, maybe someday you'll be able to insert your text editor
> as a component on a web page?

To plug my personal opinion in here. I don't believe that=20
KDE or GNOME will really produce modular and I mean task modular
produts. At least they haven't done it yet. The modularity they talk
about is different from the one I talk about, they create bloatware
and don't solve tasks. (So much for a rant, I guess I'm not in my best
mood today.)

> > Another question: Would it not be advantagous only recreate a page, when
> > the source objects change and trigger that creation? Most pages could
> > just be cached this way. Or does Zope that already?
> It doesn't do it at the moment.
Okay.

> As your DTML gets more complex, it would become more and more=20
> difficult for Zope to determine when/if it needs to be
> reexecuted.=20

It is object orientated and the objects know each other.
If they are bidirectionally linked, someone could create a queue for
each page. Each queue gets a timer value (like 30 Seconds).
As soon as one object, this page depends on is changed, it
schedules the page for rebuilding. When the page is called, it gets
rebuild, if the queue flag is set and it was more than 30 seconds ago.

Doesn't seem too hard to me at first glance. <wink>

> > Please cc: me answers, because I am not on the Zope list (just to huge).
> Here here! I've been subscribed since 11/10/1999 and I've got almost
> 1000 messages in my "zope" folder in mutt.
This cries for an increase in the number of zope mailinglists.
Or better: a zope newsgroup. Someone should initiate the process.
	Bernhard
--=20
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.  (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting 		         (intevation.net) =20

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd--