[Zope] [Q] My own editor?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard@uwm.edu
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 18:09:35 -0600

--MP5ln1Rcf9Bvi+ZW

Hi Chris,

thanks for answering my beginner questions.

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 06:19:02PM -0500, Chris McDonough wrote:

> There are a few initiatives in process which aim to "pretty up" the text
> entry interface, ZIE being one (http://www.zope.org/Members/johanc/ZIE -
> works only with IE 5).  I'd heard of others (VisualZope?) but haven't
> tried any.

Hmm ZIE is not an option.
A general method for this would be nice.

> Zope's portability does come with a price. =20
I understand that.=20
But loosing the modular toolbox of general computer systems is
not really nice.

> Zope runs on just about
> every widely-used UNIX variant, as well as NT. =20
> Its management interface
> has been designed to work with most every browser (it uses JavaScript at
> most very, very sparingly).  The web interface is the *only* real
> management interface to Zope at the moment.

True.
I am wondering a bit: Zope is such a special and big application,
it would most certainly benefit from a real Zope client.
(like written in Python/tcl or wxPython you would get all of the=20
target platforms.)

> Syntax highlighting:  To my knowledge, there are no WYSIWYG editors that
> understand DTML tags, although there are of course many that understand
> HTML. =20
I guess the syntax rules will be easy to add.
And I will be content with a normal highlighting editor, it
need not to be WYSIWYG, because that doesn't work on the web anyway.

> Your other issues are pretty well-addressed by the software itself:
> Version control:  Click on the Undo tab.
> Find:  Click on the Find tab.
> No, they're not CVS or UNIX 'find', but Zope is not UNIX.
And not NT for that matter ether.=20

Did you ever look into Hyper-G, now called Hyper-Wave?
It had a nice attempt on a hypertext authoring system.=20
Zope needs to be an hypertext authoring system to a certain extend.

I am still missing bidirectional links in the world wide web, I guess. ;->

	Bernhard
--=20
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.  (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting 		         (intevation.net) =20

--MP5ln1Rcf9Bvi+ZW

--MP5ln1Rcf9Bvi+ZW--