[Zope] [Q] My own editor?

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 18:19:02 -0500

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 10:48:35PM -0600, Stephen Pitts wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 09:54:00PM -0600, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>
> > > How can I export a DTML method file, so that I can add it again?
> > > Background: I want to use my own editor, as the webbrowser's
> > > text window usually is a real bad editor.
>
> > From the containing folder, you can use Import/Export, but that
> > generates a hard-to-read XML file. Another approach might be to
> connect
> > to your Zope server with an FTP program on port 8021 and
> download/upload
> > the file. Yet a third approach is constantly copying and pasting
> to/from
> > your text editor and the web browser.
>
> All unsatisfactory.
> Using Zope looses you a lot of advantages you already have in your
> working environment. Like the unix tools box (if you are using Unix,
> that is), including syntax highlighting editors, version control,
> special script tools like find. In that respect it is not, what I was
> hoping it is.
<snip>

There are a few initiatives in process which aim to "pretty up" the text
entry interface, ZIE being one (http://www.zope.org/Members/johanc/ZIE -
works only with IE 5).  I'd heard of others (VisualZope?) but haven't
tried any.

Zope's portability does come with a price.  Zope runs on just about
every widely-used UNIX variant, as well as NT.  Its management interface
has been designed to work with most every browser (it uses JavaScript at
most very, very sparingly).  The web interface is the *only* real
management interface to Zope at the moment.

Syntax highlighting:  To my knowledge, there are no WYSIWYG editors that
understand DTML tags, although there are of course many that understand
HTML.  Many can work with "virtual" filesystems via FTP.  Use one of
these

Your other issues are pretty well-addressed by the software itself:

Version control:  Click on the Undo tab.

Find:  Click on the Find tab.

No, they're not CVS or UNIX 'find', but Zope is not UNIX.

--
Chris McDonough
Digital Creations, Inc.