[Zope] The name ZOPE (was RE: [Zope] Linux.com community ad)

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:14:10 +0200

Jay, Dylan wrote:
> People look at me strange when I say I've been
> working with Zope.
> I think Z Object Publishing Environment is fine but thats not a name its a
> description. I personally think it needs a name that suggests the power,
> stability and flexibility that is Zope.

But lots of names in the computing world are actually quite silly. You're
just used to them. How about 'Python', for instance? "I've been programming
in <snake/bizarre comedy show>." Or 'Linux' (silly word play on Unix and
Linus, and they have a *penguin* as a logo?). Or GNU (what kind of animal?).
A 'daemon', you say? Software is just full of funny words like that. Makes
life interesting.

While 'Zope' doesn't strike me as "wow, what a *great* name", at least the
word is unique. It'll show up in web searches, and you know practically all
hits will be about *our* Zope, not something else.

Besides-people-look-at-me-strange-anyway-ly yours,

Martijn