[Zope] Future of Zope

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:39:21 +0200

[snip using Mozilla's XUL for Zope]

Johan Carlsson wrote:
> And don't forget the ZIE-project using Microsoft's proprietary
> API to enhance the UI ;-)

Yes, cool, though in Linux it's hard to use that. :)

> As I understand it, XUL is proprietary Moz-tech, right?

Only for some values of 'proprietary'. Perhaps a trifle more proprietary
than Zope itself -- the Mozilla license is open source but a less liberal
one than Zope's. In theory XUL could be used by other browsers; the source
is open.

> With a web browser installation rate at approximately 70-30
> it's impossible to ignore Microsoft, where one likes it or not.

I'm very very curious about what will happen to the web browser market next
year when Mozilla is out. It's going to be very interesting indeed.

Regards,

Martijn