[Zope] Future of Zope

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:04:44 -0400

Johan Carlsson wrote -

>Preferably by using XML-RPC.
>It just stroke me that using XML-RPC as the
>communication layer between any client tool
>and Zope would be the best way to separate
>client-logic from Zope-logic.

>Is that a good idee?

It is a very good idea.  With xml-rpc, you can talk to separate processes on the
same machine or on another.  There are xml-rpc servers or clients in at least
six languages so far.  Since you have to use SOME format for interprocess
communication, why not this one? Or SOAP, it probably doesn't matter much which
one.  Basically, if you want to operate on a number of platforms, you will do
IPC using sockets, http, or (getting complicated) CORBA, etc.  Most of the more
complex systems are going to be built on sockets anyway.  Why roll your own
implementation using http or basic sockets when it has been done already?  And
you need SOME format for the messages, so why not an xml-based format?  xml-rpc
or SOAP ought to be excellent.

Tom Passin

For developer-specific issues, zope-dev@zope.org -