[Zope] upgrading a product

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 12:52:16 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00AA_01BF1D55.6F20A7E0

Hi, Liz

    Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier... it's been crazy.

    Assuming you didn't make any changes to the KMNN that you have, you =
should be able to delete the old product, then install the new one. When =
you delete the product, your KMArticleStore and KMArticles will be =
broken (because the ZClasses will be missing). But, when you install the =
new version, the class-id is the same, so your instances will start =
working again.

As always, though, make a backup of your Data.fs in case something goes =
awry :)

These should be undoable changes to the ZODB though. The upgrade should =
be relatively painless. The thing I haven't figured out is a good way to =
upgrade when you've actually made changes to the product. Maybe there =
should be one product that defines ZClass base classes and another that =
wraps those. You create instances of the wrapper objects, and make your =
changes to the wrappers. That way, you can plug in new base classes =
without interfering with your changes. I haven't tried any of that =
though.

Good luck!

Kevin