[Zope] Zope + Roxen Challenger: Is it possible?

Magnus Heino magnus@vuab.net
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:32:41 +0200

> Before I learned about Zope I was very impressed with the Roxen
> Challenger Server and all its tags and modules. Has anybody tried using
> both at the same time? I was thinking using PCGI/FastCGI, which I don't
> know a thing yet. I'm willing to try it out but I was wondering if
> anybody already invented the wheel.

It is not only possible, it is a must! :-)

I am using both. This way I can use all features of Zope and Roxen at
the same time. All Zope output will be parsed by Roxen -> I can use
Roxens graphical text, diagram, layout, whatever-modules to generate
things on the fly.

And best of all, I dont have to use old apache... (Everyone that hasnt
used Roxen, point your browser to http://www.roxen.com now.) :-)

Example:

1. Compile Zope in /opt/zope

2. Add a cgi-module to Roxen.

3. Change everything marked with '*' in Roxen:

*              Allow listing of cgi-bin directory : Yes
               Allow symlinks : Yes
*              CGI-bin path : /Zope/
               CGI-script extensions : cgi
               Builtin variables (security, comments etc.)
               Extra environment variables : Empty
*              Handle *.cgi : Yes
               Limits...
               Log CGI errors to... : main log file
*              Parse RXML in CGI-scripts : Yes
               Pass environment variables : No
               Provide the <cgi> tag : Yes
*              Raw user info : Yes
               Run scripts as :
               Run user scripts as owner : Yes
*              Search path : /opt/zope/
               Send decoded password : No
               Set the supplementary group access list : Yes
               Treat non-executable files as ordinary files : Yes
               Warn for CGIs executing as root : Yes

4. Add Zope.cgi to your Directory Module in Roxen.

5. Permissions! If you set "Run scripts as :" to root:root, it will run.
But you don't want to do that. Create a new user, or use nobody:nobody
or something. Make sure to update /opt/zope to have the correct
permissions.

6. http://path/Zope/

7. Tada! Zope is alive! Hopefully... Try to login!

8. If login fails, you will see this in the roxen log: "CGI: Failed to
get user information for". Permissions are wrong, or "Raw user info" is
not set to yes as described above. Else, send me a mail...

/Magnus Heino