[Zope] Medusa performance - was: HELP: downloading file from netscape/old IE can frozezope

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:45:59 +0200

At 14:04 29/10/99 , Gilles lavaux wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have used medusa to build a 'host monitoring' system (very easy:I just had
>to code a module). And I find medusa extremly fast : I have tested it at ~3
>millions hit/day(~33hit/sec) whithout problem, actualy I don't know what is
>the top limit on my config(dec alpha 433). BUT this was only with very small
>pages.
>
>What I dont understand with zope2 is why I have 7 process started: 'python
>z2.py -D' ?? If I understoud correctly medusa, it's running in a single
>process, so does it means that Zope use 1 medusa http sever + N (6??) 'zope
>process' to handle up to N (6?) requests simultanously?
>
>How does the Zope2/medusa part works?
>
>Gilles Lavaux

Zope is multi-threaded, and on certain platforms, threads are listed as
seperate processes.

IIRC, one thread for medusa, one thread that handles all other Zope
threads, and N threads for handling requests, where N defaults to 4. Medusa
answers the call, one of the Zope threads picks it up and the result is
returned by Medusa.

This way multiple requests can be taken care of simultaneously.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer