[Zope] Broswer limitations?

Rob Page rob.page@digicool.com
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:19:26 -0400

> While I'm still too new at it to be entirely sure, it looks
> to me like the
> dynamic content is put into the database by copying and
> pasting into the
> TEXTAREA boxes in the admin interface.

This is largely true.  With Zope 2 and ZServer you can also FTP DTML
documents into the object database.

> I've made dynamic page-posting tools with Perl before, however, and
> discovered that the HTML components of Netscape Browser (MSIE, too,
> apparently) have limitations on the amount of data that can
> be moved via
> these containers... Does anybody have any more/better
> information on this,
> and how it can either be overcome, or else have the control
> prevent the user
> from doing something that will result in incomplete transmissions?

I know from a recent personal test that Netscape 4.x doesn't like more
than either 32 or 64k in its textarea.  On IE5 I quit testing at
something like 300k.  Alternatively, you could upload files and have a
clever ExternalMethod recast them as DTML Documents or Methods.

--Rob