[Zope] Caching problems

Fredrick Rybarczyk - LUB NetLab Fredrick.Rybarczyk@lub.lu.se
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 10:40:09 +0200

A heavy tub 'n hot water session cleared my thinking a bit. So I'd like to
answer my posting an offer an apology for this act of annoying waste of
everybodys time :-)

> I'm using an external method that imports another module "Defs.py". A
> dir(Defs) looked like this:
> ['Faculties','Secretaries', '__builtins__',
> '__doc__','__file__','__name__']
> When I added a dictionary called Passwords to Defs ( Yes, I saved the
> file :-) ) Zope failed to detect the change and threw an
> 'AttributeError'. When I came to work this morning Zope still hadn't
> caught up so I restarted the server and everything went fine.

I think it works like this:
Since the server has a long time running interpreter, the interpreter does
not reload a previously imported module like my "Defs.py" unless it's
explicitly told todo so. This is unpractical when you're developing and
therefore constantly change things. Adding
import Defs
reload(Defs)
keeps a few ugly tracebacks out your sight.

Thanks for the release btw. It helped me to slay heretical doubts among
management.
-Fredrick

Fredrick Rybarczyk
Research Engineer