[Zope] Zope Mailing List Software is hugely inconsistent!

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 19:46:55 -0400

Jon S. Jaques wrote:

> Does anybody know what list software Zope is using?!?!? The headers of
> messages that I receive from the list are SOOOoooo inconsistent that
they
> have defied my filters again and again!
>
> If there's a moderator listening out there, please, do anything you
can to
> rectify this! As I am subscribed to *several* high-volume lists, it's
> serious problem when messages from the list continually land in my
Inbox,
> along with my business-related email.

Zope.org uses mailman, of which i'm one of the core developers (though i
basically haven't had time to continue with it since coming to digital
creations).  As far as i know mailman is RFC compliant, and in fact
yours is the first complaint i've heard about being unable to filter due
to inconsistent headers.  (I'd be interested to see an example where the
envelope sender differed.)

I am *very* surprised that you're unable to make a rule that matches the
[Zope] consistently.  I have a suspicion that the problem, instead, is
that such a match is an MS Exchange "client side" rule, which does not
run when your outlook client is not running.  Perhaps that accounts for
the apparently unmatched items.

If that's the case, i suggest concocting a rule that works client side -
for exchange you have to bend over backwards a bit (and watch your
rear:).  For instance, if you add an entry to your address book with
zope@zope.org email address, then you can specify that any items with to
or cc headers matching that address go to some folder - that's a server
side rule, and won't miss anything.

If you're really convinced that mailman is doing the wrong thing, then
bring it up on the mailman-developers@python.org mailing list.  However,
you may want to first check the appropriate rfc to confirm that.  I
believe it is correct for the mailing list mechanism to set the envelope
sender to the address of the mailing list, for numerous reasons.  I also
believe mailman does this consistently, but would want to know if it
doesn't.

Ken Manheimer
klm@digicool.com