[Zope] Zope Mailing List Software is hugely inconsistent!

Jon S. Jaques lists@almus.com
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:26:30 -0400

Hello,

I had to sign off of the Zope list; I was on vacation, and the messages were
filling up my mailbox. When I tried to download them upon return, the mass
of unfiltered messages overran me. I have since re-joined, but with the
"batch", or digest, mode, instead.

I guess this is what I see as the stickler: To my way of thinking, when I
get messages from a list, they are "From: THE LIST". Not from users and
developers that I've never met. Doesn't that make sense? That also
encourages interaction with the list members, because a "normal" reply, from
ANY mail client, will send to ONLY the list; You must do a "reply to all" in
order to also send to the private addresses on the email. This is a Good
Thing.

I've added a new filter to Outlook, which MAY pick up the messages that
differ enough to not be caught by my primary filter, based on some of the
suggestions of the other list members.

As regards the re-written headers... I'm starting to think that that is a
mis-configuration on the Linux clients that are sending mail through their
local Sendmail installations. What I'm seeing is stuff like this:

anthony@nextTelecom.com
>Martijn Faassen [m.faassen@vet.uu.nl] on behalf of
Martijn.Faassen@vet.uu.nl

On the other hand, the zope-admin "variant" is the most common of them all;
who is making that? And why wouldn't they all be that way? Is that due to
somebody sending email directly from the server that the list is running on?
And if so, what is wrong with the local config of the users' machines who
are generating these headers? Why doesn't MailMan regulate these?

I'm sorry I generated so much traffic on this topic, and I guess I could
move it to the MailMan list if you agree that this is a MailMan
problem/issue. (I'm not expert enough, IMHO, to make that statement alone,
even though I think that there some facts that really make it seem that
way.)

Thanks much for your response!

-- Jon S. Jaques ---------------
-- Systems Administrator -------