[Zope] ZClass info?

chas panda@skinnyhippo.com
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 23:39:35 +0900

>> I've been seeing some good buzz on this list about ZClasses.  Is there
>> anything I can read to find out what they are and how to use them?  I
>> searched the beta site but didn't come up with anything much.
>>
>Doug,
>
>Try searching for zClass (not the case).
>
>There is a pretty good How-To on them.

the "ZClass how-to" from the "official" zope docs (ie. www.zope.org)
*is* very good for getting started. beyond that, i advise going to
kevin dangloor's house and pinching his copy of "the zope reference" -
a gem of a publication which explains the zope object models : it's
the equivalent of the invaluable "python library reference" and
outlines all the properties and methods (eg. manage_editProperties,
createInObjectManager) that you, me and countless others have had
to piece together from others' random braindumps in the archives.

example post, Kevin Dangloor explains how to roll your own zclasses and
mentions "If you use a standard propertysheet management screen, your changes
  do not get automatically propogated to the Catalog. You'll need to create
  your own editing method which changes the properties and then calls
  reindex_object.your own editing method which changes the properties and
then calls
  reindex_object."

btw, kevin hides the latest copy of "the Zope Reference" under his pillow.

>Kuraiken <arashi1@pd.jaring.my> writes:
>
>> It's an exciting thing, ZClasses, isn't it?
>> Well, the best docs so far are in the ZClasses tutorial.
>> http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Reference/ZClasses
>>
>> Zope docs are all over the place, to be honest - takes some searching to
find
>> them. Currently there are 3 areas where Zope docs can be found:
>>
>> www.zope.org/Documentation
>> www.zope.org:18200/Documentation
>> zdp.zope.org

on this note, maybe somebody would like to make it a bit more obvious
from www.zope.org where the FAQ is ? took me 3 days to find it...
ok, so maybe i was a bit myopic but "<new-technology> documentation
projects" are often a bit lame (the ZDP is not; it is very good) and
i definitely didn't expect to find such a wealth of information
lurking behind the link at the *bottom* of the documentation page
along with 'background information'. also, try searching the sites
or stypefying crud egroups.com for the faq ... not exactly inspiring.

why not at least mention that the zdp includes the FAQ on www.zope.org/Doc ?
and not a peep on the www.zope.org homepage.  i almost feel like the
zdp is like one of those unofficial fan sites for the spice girls
(not that i'd know) - and why yet more duplication with zope.org:18200 ?

>> Most have copies in all places but some are "unique". Like I said
before...we
>> _really_ need to get the docs organized.
>
>Yeah--you'd think that the 2.0-specific stuff would be on the beta
>site...  Anyhow, thanks for the pointer.

anyway, point is : zdp is good. don't tease me with the zope object model
though ! <g>

chas