[Zope] The QuickRef needs a link from the docs page.

kedai kedai@kedai.com.my
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 12:35:45 -0400

> OO is a bit tricky to start with, though Python makes it very easy.
i bought mark lutz programming python - and tried to follow the tutorial.  hoever, it does not sink in.  i can get the earlier part, but missed a lot when i entered chapter 4!  note to self: need to look at the book again.

> Currently it seems that the volunteer produced Zope Quick Reference is
> the only documentation that lists (briefly) the methods on the various
> Zope objects. To see what they actually do, currently you need to
> consult the Zope source, which is an extreme thing to do to beginners.

i agree.  i skimmed the source and got a vague idea on how things work now.  but some things need further explaination/examples.  take these snippets from the ZQR:

	<dtml-call "REQUEST.set('list',[])">
	<dtml-call "list.append(1)">
	<dtml-var "list[0]">

i get the first statement.  it's in the ZQR.  its using REQUEST and set (which is def in BaseRequest , i think) and sets the values.

the 2nd stement i got only part of it.  it's calling the list object, but where did the append come from?  is it a method that the author had done already (as in the dtml-call "addDocument(.....)"> example, or is it standard Zope methods?
if it's some method the author had done, i get it.

can i safely say that REQUEST is the class and set is a method in REQUEST?  even though the BaeRequest.py never state explicitly that REQUES is a class (it only say BaseRequest is a class)?  or where did the REQUEST come from?
the ZQR mentioned that we can use form with REQUEST, but there's no such definition/method(?) in the BaseRequest.py.  where did that come from? another object i presumed, but which one?

i hope i've shown reasons i or maybe a few more from non python background faced.

> So far, the ZQR. I hope and assume Digital Creations is producing a
> reference describing these standard methods more fully. If they're not,
> we need to take action ourselves. Would you like to be the volunteer
> that keeps track of this? Ask Digital Creations (on the ZDP list
i think the ZQR fits nicely, only we need to put in more examples and reasons why it is so.  but then, it's not a quick reference anymore, ..is it? :)

> > hope i didn't paint my self as a complete fool here.
>
> Not at all. You raised good questions..
>
> I hope this helped!
thanks for taking my newbie Qs.