[Zope] The QuickRef needs a link from the docs page.

David Kankiewicz i173327@thegrid.net
Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:02:50 -0700

kedai wrote:

> > OO is a bit tricky to start with, though Python makes it very easy.
> i bought mark lutz programming python - and tried to follow the tutorial.  hoever, it does not sink in.  i can get the earlier part, but missed a lot when i entered chapter 4!  note to self: need to look at the book again.
>

> > Currently it seems that the volunteer produced Zope Quick Reference is
> > the only documentation that lists (briefly) the methods on the various
> > Zope objects. To see what they actually do, currently you need to
> > consult the Zope source, which is an extreme thing to do to beginners.

I believe that Zope will have some better documentation coming up and
the ZQR will get better also..

> i agree.  i skimmed the source and got a vague idea on how things work now.  but some things need further explaination/examples.  take these snippets from the ZQR:
>
>         <dtml-call "REQUEST.set('list',[])">
>         <dtml-call "list.append(1)">
>         <dtml-var "list[0]">

I'm the one who added this, to give you some prospective, I've only
known about python for about a year and never tried to learn it before
three weeks ago. (I'm still learning :).

I added this example because it gave an good example of creating a
"list" within DTML and appending a value (append shows how much python
is in Zope) and then getting the value. I got it from an email (should
we give credit for those?) on this list.  I should have explained the
example when I put it in but didn't think to.

We are still going through the Zope Quick Reference and hope to add more
examples (with explanations, hopefully) as we find good ones.

> i get the first statement.  it's in the ZQR.  its using REQUEST and set (which is def in BaseRequest , i think) and sets the values.
>
> the 2nd stement i got only part of it.  it's calling the list object, but where did the append come from?  is it a method that the author had done already (as in the dtml-call "addDocument(.....)"> example, or is it standard Zope methods?
> if it's some method the author had done, i get it.

I guess from this, we need to give all of the python methods available
in Zope and show them as such.
Where do I find all those??? :), That will give the volunteer(s?) more
stuff to do....
We haven't even found all of the available Zope methods yet. (Can some
guru try to give me a hint on what shouldn't get included from the
source def's? I have a vague idea but still get stumped on repeats and
what look like internal stuff)

> can i safely say that REQUEST is the class and set is a method in REQUEST?  even though the BaeRequest.py never state explicitly that REQUES is a class (it only say BaseRequest is a class)?  or where did the REQUEST come from?
> the ZQR mentioned that we can use form with REQUEST, but there's no such definition/method(?) in the BaseRequest.py.  where did that come from? another object i presumed, but which one?
>
> i hope i've shown reasons i or maybe a few more from non python background faced.

Hey gurus you heard him, we need a howto on reading the source or a
better Zope Quick Reference.. lol

> > So far, the ZQR. I hope and assume Digital Creations is producing a
> > reference describing these standard methods more fully. If they're not,

Can we get feed back from DC on that?

> > we need to take action ourselves. Would you like to be the volunteer
> > that keeps track of this? Ask Digital Creations (on the ZDP list
> i think the ZQR fits nicely, only we need to put in more examples and reasons why it is so.  but then, it's not a quick reference anymore, ..is it? :)

The Zope Quick Reference in the future will not show the examples by
default. It will have either a link to open a window with the example in
it, or maybe a link to the example, or you can show all examples. That
last one will be a bit big (the file is already over 180k).

That also brings up another thing the ZQR will have, links to other
relevant documentation.

The mailing list is still the best place to get answers, at least that
helps in the short run.

David,
terra tone..