[Zope] Cacheing

Peter Sabaini cccp@oeh.tu-graz.ac.at
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:35:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Rob Page wrote:

:<snip>
:> :>
:> :> why not just use some separate subsystem for caching, eq. a squid
:> :> in httpd accelerator mode?
:<snip>
:
:This would only allow you to cache on web page boundaries not on object
:boundaries.

true. setting the "modified" time of the web page according to the
youngest modify-time of the constituting object could be some kind
of compromise...

:Moreover, I want the cached thing to be aware of acquisition, etc..  I
:think this necessitates its (rather close) integration with Zope.  OTOH,
:am I in the minority of people that thinks cacheing on web page
:boundaries (i.e., REQUEST boundaries) is interesting but not compelling?

this also could be done with setting modify times appropriately,
if an object which lends itself to acquisition is changed, set the
modified-dates of the objects which acquire from that object.

dont get me wrong, i think that cacheing within zope is a good
thing... but additionally, i think it would be a good idea to take
care of the caches outside of zope, ie. the proxies around the
world... (did i mention that http://zope.org is not very
cacheable ;))

peter.

ps.: please forgive my (bad) english
peter sabaini, mailto: c c c p@oeh.tu-graz.ac.at,
http://oeh.tu-graz.ac.at/~cccp/
Any sufficiently perverted technology is
indistinguishable from Perl. (ca. a.c. clarke)