[Zope] Why so many problems with database adapters?

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Thu, 06 Apr 2000 18:46:31 +0200

Hi Hung,

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

> I know this is a moot issue: "... since developing database
> adapters doesn't contribute to our revenue, we won't spend time
> on it."
>
> But currently the database adapters have problems. I have
> tried SybaseDAv2 and ZODBC. A few problems have been reported
> to the Collector with patches. But no actions taken on the
> part of Digicool, for a long time.

Are you actually paying for support? If you are so depending on
the solution, it would be the next logical step to take.
If not, so we can all hope and wish, but not _demand_ to get the
fixes :-)

> This reminds me of Java's Bug Parade... which was rather
> frustrating... you reported a bug, crossed your fingers, and
> hopefully in 4 or 5 months it would get fixed... this after
> your commercial project already got killed. Yes, you fixed
> the bug, but I am no longer using Java. :)
>
> Is there another way of loosening the tight control of release
> of products? If Digicool does not have the man-power for taking
> care of release of some component, why not figure out a way
> for others to jump in and do the fixes? Why repeat the mistakes
> and shortcomings of the Java Bug Parade system? Is there a way
> somehow of linking in the product pages to some sort of user
> feedback? It will be more honest to let new users become aware
> of the problems of the current products and where they can
> find the patches. Currently, a new user happily download
> a product with the false hope that it will work properly.
> If there is some sort of user-comment (like Amazon's book
> review), then the user would know what problems there are
> with the current release of the product, and whether there
> are patches already made by someone. A publicly visible user
> feedback would also probably accelerate the fixes of products,
> be they made by Digicool or any outside people. I guess a
> message bulletin board linked to each individual product gives
> much better help than letting new users wade through tons of
> mailing list messages. (Product owners can remove nasty
> or unappropriate feedback messages, if necessary.)

Nice idea. This could help a bit.

> On one hand Zope advertises that it has database adapters to
> most databases, on the other hand we know that these adapters
> have problems that sit unfixed. Database is critical in most
> commercial applications, and frankly Digicool is risking
> a bit when mouthwords come out about the quality of the
> database adapters and the lack of support.

There are other companies which distribute software full of bugs and
low on features and have very good success with it .-)

Regards,

Tino Wildenhain