[Zope] hacking zdiscussion w RDB backend

- bak@nstp.com.my
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:34:42 +0800

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000, Michael Bernstein wrote:
> "J. Atwood" wrote:
> >
> > I actually started this a few days ago, although not really hacking
> > ZDiscussions, more like rebuilding a new discussion with a SQL
> > backend and modeled after UBB. You can look at what I started to
> > write here...
> >
> > http://www.zope.org/Members/BwanaZulia/ZUBB/README
> >
> > I am up to a slew of tables and building the forms to add topics.
> > Take a look and let me know if this is what you were looking to build.
> >
> > I will add that I too am not a "real" programmer and while I have
> > been using Zope for months I am still just ramping up.
>
> Have you looked at squishdot (http://squishdot.org ,
> http://www.zope.org/Members/butchland/Squishdot)?

yes, i've looked at it and use it for my site.  but i want something in the
line of phorum (www.phorum.org), or UBB, or wwwthreads.  i've also looked at
confera and zdiscussion, but then i would like to implement it with a RDB
backend.

> It's my understanding that someone is doing a reimplementation of
> Squishdot using ZDiscussions/PTK. Can anyone on the list confirm this?
> this would seem to solve most of the moderation/registration issues.
>
> In any case, this would seem to be a better approach than an RDBMS
> centric application, as it leverages Zope's strengths.

i believe the pros of having a rdb backend:-
-i can have more than one database, compared to only one Data.fs, since the
site will host a bunch of forums.

-discussion boards is many writes and reads.  and i believe i read somewhere
that ZODB is perfect for many reads/few writes.

> HTH,
>
> Michael Bernstein.

thanks

http://www.kedai.com.my/kk