[Zope] CVS version of Zope and Squishdot

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:05:21 -0700

Vitaly Osipov wrote:

> Oops, seems like somebody already solved this problem some days ago (and
> it's a pity that
> squishdot will not work on CVS version)

There are a number of reasons why I don't think this is that much of a
pity.

1) Squishdot is based on very old, pre 2.0 code.  It does all it's own
indexing instead of using ZCatalog (because it is based on old code).
It should not do that, and if it does, it should track the same indexing
code as the catalog.  As is, Squishdot cannot take advantage of the new
language independent features, or wildcard searching, or Japanese
support etc...

2) It's a *trivial* fix to Squishdot, but a huge waste of my time to
maintain and document two different, incompatable interfaces just for
Squishdot.

3) There are a number of products which do not have this limitation
which work like Squishdot, such as KM|News and the upcoming PTK.

There are other techical reasons, such as the old indexing code being
very ZTables centric.  I made the same mistake the original index
authors made in that I made the Catalog indexes very ZCatalog centric.
Neither are very useful in the general case (which is the real root of
the problem here).

-Michel