[Zope] Re: Zope hanging (poss. threads-related)

Monty Taylor mtaylor@goldridge.net
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:32:17 +0200

--------------54974BA9317526E1259D0AFC

Tony Rossignol wrote:

> Marcus Collins wrote:
> > something
>
> Since this problem has been reported on serveral OSs now I tend to go
> along w/ you in looking for a ZServer/medusa cause for the problem.  It
> still puzzles me as to why the older version of Linux/RH is for some
> reason more stable.  I'm in the process of getting another machine for
> testing that will have RH5.2 and be designated as the /manage server,
> but I'm waiting on the HW.  I was orginally figuring something changed
> in the RH6.2 distribution, but with these restarts occuring on FreeBSD
> and Solaris (I believe I've seen complaints from both OSs on this list
> at one time or another), I'm wondering if speed may have something to do
> w/ it.  Our older system is also a slower box dual 400Mhz vs dual
> 500Mhz.

Well, I can't say for every one else, but my Solaris installations are
surprisingly to problem. I say surprising because the installation on
Solaris is a hell of a lot more bubble-gum and string to put it where we
want it. (I don't care so much on Linux. )

Also, I was experiencing the problem quite a bit on 2.1.2, then upped to
2.1.4 and it quit. I tried and upgrade to 2.1.6, had problems and went
back to 2.1.4 and then it started up again. I know from a previous life
as a a support person that that is almost useless information, being
unreproducable and all, but I'm wondering if the sporadic nature of the
problem could be linked to the spoogey install? The DC people would
probably have the best understanding of that process, and I would be
willing to bet that they don't experience this problem all that much.
Can't say what it would be, but it could also bear looking into.

> > Zope has in the past been fairly stable using four threads; it was only when
> > the threads were increased to 20 that it began hanging repeatedly. We really
> > *do* need to run Zope with a modest number of threads, as some database
> > queries can be expected to take a couple of seconds to complete.
>
> I also wonder if the DB connections might be something comming into play
> here.  We use MySQL heavily for serveral sections of our Zope site.  Has
> anyone been seeing Zope restarts that do not use any DB adapters?  If DB
> adapters appear to be the culprit it might be in the Aquacut code not
> the ZServer/medusa code?  Hmmm, I haven't given that much thought.

Yes. I've had it crash/hang/die when doing things completely unrelated
to DB adapters. Although almost never when the management interface is
not involved.

> > I really do want to get the the root of this problem; if anyone out there
> > has some suggestions or further information requirements, I'm listening!
>
> Amen!  I've been suffering thought this for several months now.  We
> built several failsafe systems and use laod balancing and static caching
> heavily to mask these restart problems from our end-users.  But as we
> try to start adding more of the interactive features our site demands,
> our ability to cache and hide these problems become more and more
> difficult.  I hate to say it but at some point Zope may not be the
> solution for our needs due solely to this stability issue :(

Double amen here. Zope's mainly still in development here, so no one
else notices, but if my manager (who keeps wanting Lotus Notes
--shiver-- don't ask me why) catches wind that my solution hangs/crashes
with any regularity... the end result just won't be good. :)

Monty
--------------54974BA9317526E1259D0AFC

begin:vcard
n:Taylor;Monty
tel;cell:+31 (0)6 200 17486
tel;fax:+31 (0)20 589 5566
tel;work:+31 (0)20 589 5517
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.goldridge.net
org:Information Innovation
adr:;;Amstelveenseweg 88-90;Amsterdam;;1075 XJ;The Netherlands
version:2.1
email;internet:mtaylor@goldridge.net
title:Information Artist
x-mozilla-cpt:;0