[Zope] Re: Zope hanging (poss. threads-related)

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 17:29:29 -0700

Marcus Collins wrote:

> Some feedback:
>

> Zope has in the past been fairly stable using four threads; it was only when
> the threads were increased to 20 that it began hanging repeatedly. We really
> *do* need to run Zope with a modest number of threads, as some database
> queries can be expected to take a couple of seconds to complete.

I suspect this problem *might* be unrelated to the threadlock discussed
so far, in the case of the reported lock, 2 or more threads cause
instability.  In your case, you report 4 is stable.

I think you are running up against the hardwirded database connection
limit (7) in ZODB.  You have more threads then there are connections.  I
suggest not raising the number of threads above 7 or changing the
hardwired limit... problem is I don't remember where the hardwiring
is...  This has been discussed in the past, look for messages by Jim
Fulton.

-Michel