[Zope] Calling mxODBC from an External Method

Cheuk Cheng Cheuk_Cheng@Phoenix.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:58:57 -0700

I''ve been looking for a Zope solution (on NT) for Oracle 8.0.5 (on Solaris)
and blob insertion in the last few days.  So far I found that mxODBC is the
only thing has full support for BLOB manipulation.  I can insert LOB/BLOB
into Oracle when I compiled my Python along.  However, I'm having problems
in integrating mxODBC package with Zope.  After searching through the
mailing list archive, I found a similar problem posted by Jason Cunliffe.
By following to the suggestions, I installed mxODBC package and DateTime
module under the Shared directory and keep my external method in the
Extensions directory.   In my external method, I do

Import Shared.DateTime
import Shared.ODBC
from Shared.ODBC import Windows
from Shared.ODBC import

dbc =
Shared.ODBC.Windows.Connect('user','password','dsn',clear_auto_commit=1)

When the external method is executed from Zope, I got an error message
"Error Type:AttributeError      ErrorValue: Connect".  It seems like Connect
cannot be resolved but I didn't get any complain on the imports.  If I
successfully imported the module, shouldn't I have access to the connection
method?  Can someone please help?  BTW, the directory structure under Shared
is as follow:

Shared/

   |----DateTime/
   |            -----mxDateTime/

    ----ODBC/

               |-----mxODBC/

               |-----Oracle/

                -----Windows/

Also, if I anyone has found a solution in dealing with Oracle blob, please
share your thoughts.

Thanks
-Cheuk