[Zope] to class or not to class?

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:16:51 +0200

Hi Marco !

Marco Mariani wrote:
> By following the howto, I make a product and then a zclass inside that
> product. So my provider must let me create a product.

A provider could make a difference between adding a product on the
file system and adding a product manually via the management interface.
Still, this does have the negative side effect that adding custom
products makes the list of meta_types you can add long for all
the customers, given that you can split a Zope server among them.
You could solve this problem with assigning the rights correctly,
but the problem of name clashes still would remain. In the end-effect,
the hosting provider is responsible to see that you are doing nothing
wrong, which is impractical, and therefore would be costly.
The hosting provider would needs to give you a dedicated Zope server,
which runs in it's own process, it's own installation to allow you
to add your own products, which is a good reason to ask for some
more bucks :-)

Greetings,

Maik