[Zope] to class or not to class?

Maik Roeder roeder@berg.net
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 01:11:34 +0200

Hi Marco !

Marco Mariani wrote:

> I reckon that:
>
>  1) Without ZClasses, I am lost

why ?

>  2) Without external methods using ZClasses, I am lost

why ?

>  3) to make 1) and 2) happen, I need to create new products

You can do 1) from the management interface.
To make 2) you need access to the import directory on the server

> hence
>
>  4) I need to ask my provider to let me install my own products
>     (at a premium, of course, because it's a zope virtual server
>     for me alone).

It would be sufficient to ask for the right to install External Methods,
but I guess for the provider this makes not much of a difference.

> Right?
>
> Why is it so? Is it a philosophical, political or technical choice?

Accessing the file system is always a security issue.
Using many ressources that are only available from Python in
External Methods or Products can considerably slow
down the machine of your provider depending of what you are
doing in them.

> And again, sorry to bother you, but where can I understand the
> difference (and moral implications) between Python Methods and
> External Methods?

Python Methods run in a protected area, where it is impossible
to do much harm.

> I've read in the mailing list archive about some problems between
> Ext. Meth. and ZClasses, I can't find the post anymore. At the time,
> I didn't know that I needed ZClasses. Is there any truth?

Just leave out the External Methods, and go with just ZClasses.
(I have done it with the ZDP-Tools that run zdp.zope.org)

> Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!
> (in particular to DigiCool for adding some spice to our lives!)

Yep

Greetings,

Maik Röder