[Zope] Error Packing Data.fs

Nick Garcia ngarcia@codeit.com
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:08:45 -0700

"Eric L. Walstad" wrote:

> Hi,
> I am getting a permission denied error when I try to pack the Data.fs file
> I found one answer to this in the archives, but I need a little more
> explanation.  Here's the answer from the archive:
>
> >   That is the point - when Zope is run under root, it automatically drops
> > to nobody, and nobody doesn't have permissions to your Data.fs.
> >
> > Error Type: IOError
> > Error Value: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> > '/usr/local/Zope/var/Data.fs'
> >
> >Oleg.            (All opinions are mine and not of my employer)
>
> My question is:  Do I change the ownership of Data.fs to "nobody" or do I
> change the user Zope is run as?  I guess I don't understand the consequenses
> of each option so I don't know which is the best way to go.

If you're only having the problem when you try to pack the database, I
assume that Zope is running fine.  If that is the case, then what you
need to do is change the permissions on (or just plain delete)
Data.fs.old.  When Zope packs it's database it makes a copy of it and
calls it Zope.fs.old, this is probably where you're having your problem.

--
Nick Garcia | ngarcia@codeit.com
CodeIt Computing | http://codeit.com