[Zope] Not like ASP complaint - any good answers

Andrew Kenneth Milton akm@mail.theinternet.com.au
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:29:52 +1000

+-------[ Sean McGrath ]----------------------
| All,
|
| I have had a number of e-mails from developers
| using Microsoft ASP in recent days. The paraphrased consensus
| in the e-mails is that the external
| methods/python methods approach to mixing markup
| with code in Zope is more clunky than in ASP where
| you can intermingle the two at will.

So don't use External or Python Methods. They are a small part of Zope,
and are usually used to do some complex logic or calculation. It is not
normal to embed markup inside of Python or External methods.

I would suggest your developers have a lack of understanding of how
Zope operates, and also have a fear of the unknown and are grasping for
reasons not to use Zope.

If the best they can come up with is External Methods are more clunky than
ASP, and you don't need External Methods (not everyone does), then you have
a winner.

| Has anyone written anything on this topic I could
| point them to?

If you're really talking Python Products and not Python Methods, then
your developers really have no idea. Abstracting business logic into an
object which can 'render itself' in HTML if required, and can be customised
without using python to render in different ways, is obviously a better
idea than logic+markup in scattered files (and I don't just point the
finger at ASP here).

Quick and dirty, sure you can something a little more complex in ASP a
little faster. If you have a large project, and you want it maintainable,
then this is not going to work for you, and I'm speaking from experience here
(30 + guys on one ASP project).
--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |