[Zope] Logfile analyzer

Ian Bicking ianb@colorstudy.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 06:50:52 -0500

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 03:36:25PM -0700, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
> > Anyway, I've been thinking of polishing and expanding what I've
> > written some, so it's suitable for public use (or at least use by
> > people who know Zope/Python fairly well).  But this requires work that
> > I probably wouldn't do for myself -- so I'm writing to see if there
> > are enough people who have interest in this to make it worth it.  [Or
> > if this already exists and I just haven't found it]
>
> zope's logs are in a pretty standard format so most of your loganalyzers
> should handle them well and several of them can be customized to ignore
> certain ips or urls.

Of course.  I'm actually parsing Apache logs on my own site, as this
covers both the Zope and non-Zope portions of my page.  The basic
analysis isn't Zope-specific, just more Zope-accessible.  For
instance, hits are returned as a list of page/count pairs, and then
you can format then as you wish with DTML.

Any of these things that I've done could be done by other log
analyzers, and I expect they have been.  They could probably be done
better: the real advantage of what I'm doing (in my own experience) is
that I have a fair amount of control to do whatever I want, not just
what was included in the software.  Anyone who knows some Python would
be able to have a similar amount of control.

> i've been told that http://www.webalizer.org/ is pretty nice.
>
> a zope web logs analyzer that makes images with PIL integrated into the
> control panel, is on my list of things to do although its pretty low at
> the moment.

I hadn't been thinking of using PIL myself -- though it would be
relatively easy, I suppose, to add another layer that creates graphs
from the (relatively) raw data.

  -- Ian