[Zope] Why Not Zope? 'Cos I like to bitch! ;-)

Andy McKay andym@ActiveState.com
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:09:58 -0800

> But once you have done 5 lines of dtml, and yoo need to add sixth,
> what is more probable:
>
> 1. Rewrite as a pyhtonmethod
> 2. Just add the sixth line
>
> I have the creeping feeling, that dtml is the worst thing since csh.
>
> Fortunatly, even DC seems to have realized it.

Its a double edged sword, DC started out with the quite correct and
honorable intention of making DTML simply a templating, layout language,
that did little or no complicated logic. But as people use Zope more, its
popularity has grown by people wanting to do more and more in DTML, things
like the sendmail tag, try etc. Whilst these are good they just seem to me
to pervert what DTML is all about...

Many people's initial reaction is that through DTML, ZClasses, PythonMethods
everything can be done TTW. Once in that mind set it can be difficult to
"escape" to python.

But if they could just change sequence-item to sequence_item :)