[Zope] Database/E-Mail

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Wed, 02 Feb 2000 16:15:54 -0600

"Dugas, Rheal" <Rheal.Dugas@CAN.XEROX.com> wrote:

> I have a question/request which I need help with as I havn't a Clue on how
> to approch or set this up.
>
> I have a mySQL support type database setup. What I want to do is have an
> e-mail address  where any support related items will be entered into the
> database automactily.
>
> Where I send an email to rthe server, the server looks at the e-mail
> contents, adds a new record to the database, with the subject, message, and
> any files attached.
>
> Can this be done easily and if so could someone give me a hand with the code
> or setup.

You can write a Python script which uses ZClient to call a "manage_upload"
method (or whatever you call the method which stuffs the email into Zope), and
then invoke that script from procmail or whatever your MDA is.  You may even be
able to run the client directly as a script, e.g.::

  $ZOPE_HOME/bin/python $ZOPE_HOME/lib/python/ZPublisher/Client.py \
    -u someuser:herpassword http://myserver/loadMail \
    message:file=/tmp/msgFile.txt

(all on one line, removing the backslashes).

The How-To at http://www.zope.org/Members/lstaffor/ZClientMethod covers using
ZClient from within Zope (to make one Zope instance a client of another).

Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com