[Zope] Products breaking other Products?

James W. Howe jwh@allencreek.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 13:32:31 -0500

At 12:14 PM 2/11/00 -0600, Tres Seaver wrote:
>"James W. Howe" <jwh@allencreek.com> wrote:
> >
>[...]
> >
> > My question is this, why should a product unrelated to my product cause
> > problems with my ZClasses?  I feel a bit uncomfortable with the notion that
> > one product can seemingly affect another.  I don't believe any of my code
> > relied on anything relating to the PTK.  Can someone explain what might
> > have happened?
>
>When Zope starts up, it runs through each Product, importing it as a Python
>module.  My guess is that the broken PTKBase was earlier in the list than your
>custom product, and that an exception propagated uncaught out of it,
>interrupting the normal product loading.  If this is so, then we need to
>look at
>hardening Zope's product loading mechanism against such behavior.

The strange thing is that none of the products themselves looked broken and
I was able to add new instances of ZClasses contained in my product.  Only
existing ZClasses belonging to my product displayed as broken.  I don't
know what order Zope brings products in, but my product comes before the
PTKBase product if you sort alphabetically.  I'll admit that I don't know
much about Zope internals, but something seems wrong if installing one
product breaks things in another.

James W. Howe				mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.		pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html
Ann Arbor, MI  48103