[Zope] Products breaking other Products?

James W. Howe jwh@allencreek.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 13:41:09 -0500

At 12:14 PM 2/11/00 -0600, Tres Seaver wrote:
>"James W. Howe" <jwh@allencreek.com> wrote:
>[...]
> > My question is this, why should a product unrelated to my product cause
> > problems with my ZClasses?  I feel a bit uncomfortable with the notion that
> > one product can seemingly affect another.  I don't believe any of my code
> > relied on anything relating to the PTK.  Can someone explain what might
> > have happened?
>
>When Zope starts up, it runs through each Product, importing it as a Python
>module.  My guess is that the broken PTKBase was earlier in the list than your
>custom product, and that an exception propagated uncaught out of it,
>interrupting the normal product loading.  If this is so, then we need to
>look at
>hardening Zope's product loading mechanism against such behavior.

As a followup to a message I just sent, I realize that in addition to the
PTKBase product, I also had the DemoPortal product installed.  This product
did appear in the list before my product and so could have caused the
problem you describe.  What may have happened is that I had the DemoPortal
from the older PTKBase.  I then upgraded to the newer version.  Perhaps
this broke the older DemoPortal.  I do seem to remember having trouble
deleting it (basically I wasn't able to delete it).  Now that I'm back to
using the older PTKBase, I was able to delete the DemoPortal product from
my list (along with PTKBase).

James W. Howe				mailto:jwh@allencreek.com
Allen Creek Software, Inc.		pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html
Ann Arbor, MI  48103