[Zope] Zope wisdom needed

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:47:15 -0600

magnus@vestnett.no wrote:

> Zope masters, listen, for the student has doubts.
>
> I am building a Cope site that will be a cooperation tool for my workgroup.  Some
> of the other group members are not extremely computer literate, so all my interfaces
> have to be simple, and only contain the necessary functionality.
>
> Now, in our work, we have Items.  Items have statistics and descriptions.  I want to
> make it possible for the group members to manipulate Items.  I want them to be able
> to see lists of Items, organized by different criteria.  I want them to be able to change
> the statistics of Items.  I want them to be able to read and change the descriptions.
> If they write a new description for an item offline, I want to enable them to upload
> this description for the Item.  All this without them meeting the complexity of the
> Zope "manage" interface, only my own home-built tables and forms.
>
> After meditating on the Zope documentation, I have come to the belief that the right
> thing to do will be to create a Product with a Z class that has statistics as properties
> and a DTML document containing the descriptions.  However, confusion clouds my mind:
>
> * How do I set properties from DTML, based on form input?
> * How do I edit the contents of a DTML document from a DTML method?
> * Is the structure I have chosen the best one?

Why not make the description a text property of your Item class?  You can
arrange to upload a file into such a property (this is what the
DTMLMethod/Document classes do, after all). For an example of this technique,
see the STX_Document product (the 1.1 version added the upload) in my Members
folder:

  http://www.zope.org/Members/tseaver/STX_Document

Tres.
Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582