[Zope] Apache? Proxy? PCGI? ZServer?

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:34:02 -0800

[J. Atwood, on Thu, 17 Feb 2000]
:: I have been playing with Zope for months and am a few weeks away from
:: putting a full Zopified site into production. I have a dedicated box so I
:: can do whatever I want in terms of configurations and after reading
:: everything I can get my hands on as possible solutions (I have read
:: http://www.zope.org/Members/guy_davis/install_routes)
::
:: 1) ZServer Only - This should be the simplest and fastest. The drawback I
:: see is that I will not be able to do SSL or have very good logs to run
:: webserver statistics software on (MKStats, Analog, etc).
::
:: 2) ZServer Behind Apache + Proxy - This is the second fastest and is
:: relatively easy (have done it once). I get my Apache logs, SSL (I think) but
:: It require SiteAcesss product which could (and seems to) conflict with other
:: products/functionality.
::
:: 3) Apache, FAST PCGI (Zope.cgi) + ZServer - This is the slowest of them all
:: (a new process for every request) but I most people are using this and
:: allows for all sorts of other goodies that Apache can do (Virtual hosts,
:: logs, SSL, etc).
::
:: Is there anything I am missing or does anyone have some suggestions/comments
:: on implementations?

This certainly qualifies as a FAQ (see the similar 'Apache + ZServer +
SiteAccess' thread earlier today) and indeed noone installing Zope can
escape having to navigate this decision tree.

I'd welcome seeing further discussion and clarification here on this
list from experts on this subject. But eventually, wouldn't the
community really benefit from a HOW-TO on this? At the moment, the
information about all the details and gotchas are scattered in various
places.

Or perhaps Chris McDonough's excellent installation HOW-TO might be the
proper receptacle for all the ins and outs of this?