[Zope] A newbie question...

Carlson, Christopher W. Christopher.W.Carlson@ct.sgcna.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:30:51 -0600

I've just installed the latest version of Zope and, following one of the
how-tos managed to get ZMySQLDA and MySQLdb installed and working.

I've been using Apache and PHP, and am interested in exploring how migrating
my web site to Zope can benefit me.  Unfortunately, I've run into a snag.

A summary table on one particular part of my site is constructed thusly:
I have a table 'names' containing, in each row, a name, an ID, and an
'active' flag.  Another table, 'money', contains an ID and a dollar amount,
representing adjustments to the associated 'account'.  A final table,
'action', stores an ID and a number of hours worked.  For each name in
'names', the total number of hours worked is computed and multiplied by a
fixed amount to create a value 'earned', and then added to the total dollar
amount in 'money'.  Then, each row of the HTML table shows the ID, name,
total hours, 'earned' amount, adjustments, and the final balance.

I'd like to continue storing the information in the MySQL database that it
currently resides in, but I'm having a heck of a time understanding how to
structure my SQL methods.  Can anybody drop a hint, or point me towards a
document that'll help me understand how to proceed?

(For what it's worth, I can use the Search Interface Wizard to perform
queries, but doing sub-queries within the generated method isn't intuitive
to me at all--is that even the right approach?)

--- Chris

Christopher W. Carlson / IS Administrator
CertainTeed Corporation / Waco, Texas