[Zope] ZRTChat: Logged in users indicator

Jim Washington jwashin@vt.edu
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:28:14 -0500

Good question.

It's tough to know who or whether someone is actually there because
logouts are not enforced.  Any kind of non-time-based counting or
listing algorithm would end up with zombies really quick.

However, for what you seem to need,  you could compare the latest chat
item's bobobase_modification_time with the current ZopeTime().  Then you
could say, for example, that someone has posted in the last five minutes
or so.

I think that's how I would do it.  Let me know what you figure out.  I
may add a notifier like that into the next version.

-- Jim Washington