[Zope] Zope and Midgard article in IT WEEK (UK)

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:27:28 +0000

The first sighting (by me anyway) of anything about Zope
in a UK computer mag. See article by Lee Kimber entitled
"An app server free-for-all" in 17 Jan issue of IT Week or

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/itweek/analysis/2000/02/internet/

(the paper version features a mugshot of Paul Everitt and
so is clearly a must-have for true Zope groupies ;-) )

I thought the final paragraphs were an interesting take:

"[But] both Zope and Midgard rely on easily learned and well-known
scripting languages for even the most technical aspects of their
configuration. That puts them just a short climb up the learning curve for
those developers who built today's Web applications using Perl CGI
scripts.

That ease of development raises another, intriguing possibility: that
companies that want to add features will be able to do so with the same
ease that Microsoft's Visual Basic made possible when companies
wanted to build custom business applications out of Microsoft's Office

In making Visual Basic so accessible, Microsoft spawned an entire VB
office application industry. Only time will tell whether Zope and Midgard
are about to do the same for application servers. "

Incidentally, the article is completely devoid of the J-word ....

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
     E-mail: paul.browning@bris.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/