[Zope] RE: Oracle or PostGreSQL connection pool

Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:36:13 +1100

>>> Oleg Broytmann wrote
>    Not my solution, but database programmers/admins.
[...]
>    They (DB programmers/admins) calls it "security".

It's really not a very good solution. Aside from anything else, you've
still got this one application at the front with all the different
connections - how can you be sure that the wrong user can't get a
different user's connection?

More importantly, this _won't_ scale. If I have 20 users, that will be 20
connections held open. Yuk. And say I want to open 2 or 3 connections per
user, to remove the single-threaded nature of it, and it's way way worse.

Plus you've got to then worry about the connections being established
correctly each time, reallocation of resources when they time out,
&c &c &c.  Aside: if you're using ZOracleDA to talk to Oracle, and for
some reason your Oracle connection gets trashed - restart Zope. Don't
bother trying to just close and re-open the connection, I've found that
leads to a world of pain. It sometimes works. And other times it makes
bad things happen.

(I'm also somewhat unconvinced that Oracle's all that secure - would you
expose an Oracle server to the internet? I don't think so... :)

Anthony