[Zope] Oracle and WinNT

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:09:55 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> Message: 12
> From: "Adam Gotheridge" <adam@foxvalley.net>
> To: <darcyc@engin.umich.edu>, <zope@zope.org>
> Subject: Re: [Zope] Oracle and WinNT
> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:47:26 -0600
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> yes, the oracle adapter is only for unix variants.
> yes, use the odbc adapter.
> "version of module"? If you mean odbc driver, use whatever you got with
> oracle, but check technet for upgrades.

There may be more than one way to do this but I found I needed
to install the SQL Net bit of Oracle for NT which gave me the "Oracle73
Ver 2.5" ODBC driver. You need then to configure the TNSNAMES.ORA
file. I could then connect to remote Unix-hosted Oracle databases
OK with the Zope ODBCDA (ignoring some problems with date/time fields which
I'm told have now been fixed).

I've never fathomed what the "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle" driver
(the "names in quotes" above are how they appear to me in the
NT ODBC control panel) - that seems to be part of the standard
NT issue - can actually do? Is this for locally hosted Oracle
databases?

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
     E-mail: paul.browning@bris.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/